I love learning new words and I often lookup new words I come across in my reading. Unfortunately, I often forget these new words almost immediately. So, I have started to make myself write them all down as I learn them and I thought it might be fun to share some new words with you guys! This is the second time I’ve put this together so I hope you continue to enjoy this kind of post!
It would also be so wonderful if anyone reading this added some new worlds they learned recently too in the comments! So these are some of the words I learned this month, definitions from Merriam-Webster.
- Assonance essentially alliteration with vowels!
- relatively close juxtaposition of similar sounds especially of vowels (as in “rise high in the bright sky”)
- repetition of vowels without repetition of consonants (as in stony and holy) used as an alternative to rhyme in verse
- marked by or concerned about precise accordance with the details of codes or conventions
- a slender vertical member that forms a division between units of a window, door, or screen or is used decoratively
- something (such as money or food) given freely to relieve the poor distributing alms to the needy
- archaic : charity
- in the past : formerly
- Scintilla I really enjoy saying this now!
- : spark, trace — not a scintilla of doubt
- commendation, praise —a plan that has won the approbation of the mayor
- an act of approving formally or officially
- OR obsolete
Please let me know if you guys like this type of post! Also, if you learned any fun words recently I really would love to hear them!